Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Chris Zwilling (chris@cloudnet.com)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:08:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Ian Collier wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:12:19 +0000, Neil Conway said:
> > Hmm, quickndirty calc for 90 minute tape at 64kbits =40megs or so. If
> > you can only get 32kbits then you still get 20megs... The sound
> > engineers among us can no doubt confirm bandwidth and S/N issues, but I
> > would have thought that at least 32kbits would be doable with a little
> > error correction ?
>
> There is a reason why the Spectrum outputs data at 1.5kbits and not 15...

The Commodore PET, VIC-20, 64 and 128 had 2400 baud cassette IO ports on
them. Works about to about 1.2MB of storage on a 90 minute tape. The
bandwidth of an analog tape channels is approx 70Hz - 17000Hz. If you
could max that out with a high S/N ratio you could get about 8MB of
storage on one track (16MB Stereo!). Unfortunatly most people used very
poor tape recorders that had bandwidths of about 150Hz - 11000Hz (about
5.5MB).

As far as putting linux on a VIC-20. The basic unit came with 4KB of
memory. There were expansion modules that brought it up to 32K, but the
1MHz 6502 CPU wouldn't have enough to do anything efficiently. And you
thought memory segmenting on the '386 was bad. I don't think so.

; ; Chris Zwilling
; Don't let people drive you crazy ; chris@cloudnet.com
; when you know it's in walking distance ; System Administrator
; ; 320.240.8243