Re: NEWSFLASH! Linux ported to Commodore VIC-20!!

Neil Conway (nconway.list@ukaea.org.uk)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 14:12:19 +0000

Anders Melchiorsen wrote:

> hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin) writes:
>
> > In all seriousness, with the processing speed of modern CPUs it
> > probably would be a no-brainer to support data storage to tape. In
> > fact, it really isn't very different from the "sound card modem"
> > stuff (tape adds some funky failure modes that phone lines don't have,
> > but that can probably be ignored. Of course, all error-correction has
> > to be forward error correction, since it isn't possible to get
> > feedback from the receiver. Hmm... if nothing else, this just might
> > have enough hack value for someone to do it "just because".)
>
> How much data would an audio tape be able to carry? Are we talking a
> few hundred kilobytes or are we in the megabyte range?

Hmm, quickndirty calc for 90 minute tape at 64kbits =40megs or so. If
you can only get 32kbits then you still get 20megs... The sound
engineers among us can no doubt confirm bandwidth and S/N issues, but I
would have thought that at least 32kbits would be doable with a little
error correction ?

Maybe this isn't such a crap idea after all ;-)) (I still haven't
bought a backup device for my new PC).

Neil