Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks

Dancer (dancer@brisnet.org.au)
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 08:20:36 +1000

David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:05:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org>
>
> > The right answer is that HTTP should have supported persistent
> > connections since version -1.-1 and all browsers should use that.
>
> Yes, they should. But they dont seem to. I hit Apache 1.3 sites
> with Netscape 4.5b and see multiple TCP connects.
>
> It is another vendors attempt to make their browser look "faster" than
> others. Netscape always opens up 4 connections in parallel by default
> and uses persistant transactions over each one. You can configure it
> to use only one open connection.

MSIE evilly uses up to 32 (by default). Anyhow, there's a long-standing
rationale behind the parallelizing of connections (which I hate, yes),
side-by-side with the reasoning that was used to develop the pipelined
connections. Check www.w3.org for the full story.