Re: NFS mounts confuse getcwd()

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 22:44:11 +0200 (MEST)

Bill Hawes wrote:
> Keith Owens wrote:
>
> > Mount another Linux system (ocs3, 2.0.35) on NFS. Disconnect ocs3 from
> > the LAN. All attempts to getcwd() take ages with timeout messages :-
> >
> > nfs: server ocs3 not responding, timed out

[snip]
> > getcwd() runs up the directory tree, if its search algorithm crosses
> > the disconnected NFS mount point it tries to access the remote system.
> > Not good when a remote system drops off, even users who are not using
> > ocs3 directories are hit. Lots of tasks invoke getcwd().
>
> I can see that this would be massively annoying, and in this case the
> attempts at revalidation don't make a lot of sense, as there's not much
> the client can do if something gets scrambled on the server.

The solution that I've introduced years ago (non-kernel related) is:

Mount the filesystems one level deeper. So instead of (simplified fstab):

server1:/localdisk/u1 /users/u1
server2:/localdisk/u2 /users/u2
server3:/localdisk/u3 /users/u3
server4:/localdisk/u4 /users/u4

you use:

server1:/localdisk/u1 /users/server1/u1
server2:/localdisk/u2 /users/server2/u2
server3:/localdisk/u3 /users/server3/u3
server4:/localdisk/u4 /users/server4/u4

and
cd /users
ln -s server1/u1 u1
ln -s server2/u2 u2
ln -s server3/u3 u3
ln -s server4/u4 u4
for "backwards" compatibility.

Roger.

--
| Most people would die sooner than think....  |    R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl
| in fact, most do.  -- Bertrand Russsell      |     phone: +31-15-2137555
We write Linux device drivers for any device you may have! fax: ..-2138217