Re: tulip driver in 2.1.11* - 2.1.21 is broken - new driver

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:27:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> FWIW, on Linux/m68k 2.1.120 the Ariadne ethernet driver (Am79C960 based)
> started to dump `Re-entering the interrupt handler' messages too. Makes me
> think it's not ia32/AXP/Tulip/SMP related at all.

That just doesn't make sense.. x86 changes I could imagine blaming on the
irq.c changes (and even that I'd have a hard time doing), but that file
isn't even used on m68k..

The only common theme would be the generic networking code.

David, did any of the 2.1.120 patches change the way how the downcalls
into the network drivers were done? I notice that some irq disables were
changed into "bh_atomic()" calls instead, and that might certainly have
changed timings quite a lot. And maybe one of them really was interrupt-
critial rather than bh-critical (sounds unlikely, as almost everything
happens in bh's, and almost nothing happens in interrupts)?

Linus