Re: 2.1.121 breaks compilation, initmem_freed undefined

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:35:52 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > There is a function buried in the depths of the code that can be called
> > from both modules and at init time. If its called at init time it
> > displays the penguin logo everyone wants. If its called later it doesnt.
> > So either there is a "penguin has been freed" flag or you pass "is being
> > called by a module" through every single layer of code to that deeply
> > buried function.

Well, you could use a global variable inside the FB stuff if you really
wanted to.

What I object to is to use an _external_ global variable that had nothing
at all to do with the console.

However, Ingo isn't the first person to step up with a better suggestion,
which is to just clean up the code so that it isn't needed in the first
place.

In the meantime, my tree just doesn't show the logo, so that we'll have a
2.1.122 that at least compiles and works.

Linus