Re: Printer Device Configuration Problems

Tim Waugh (tim@cyberelk.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 12 Sep 1998 13:07:59 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 11 Sep 1998, Juan Rivero wrote:

> #cat tt >/dev/lp0
> bash: /dev/lp0: Device not configured
>
> (Same for lp1). /var/log/messages says
>
> Sep 11 09:04:09 averroes kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found
> Sep 11 09:05:11 averroes kernel: parport0: unable to get hardware to
> register

Do you still have those messages? I hope so -- it looks like there should
be some more after "get hardware to register". I imagine it just says
"lp0.", but it would be nice to know for sure.

It looks to me like you've told lp/parport to use an interrupt that it
can't share with another device. If you didn't tell it to, it means that
the IRQ autoprobing stuff has told it to use the wrong interrupt..

What's in /proc/interrupts, and what parameters did you give (kernel cmd
line, modprobe cmd line, or conf.modules)?

Tim.
*/