Re: my broken TCP is faster on broken networks

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:39:27 -0700

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:05:19 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gregory Maxwell <linker@z.ml.org>

> The right answer is that HTTP should have supported persistent
> connections since version -1.-1 and all browsers should use that.

Yes, they should. But they dont seem to. I hit Apache 1.3 sites
with Netscape 4.5b and see multiple TCP connects.

It is another vendors attempt to make their browser look "faster" than
others. Netscape always opens up 4 connections in parallel by default
and uses persistant transactions over each one. You can configure it
to use only one open connection.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com