Re: Bug in mounting routines of atapi-cdroms

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 19:43:47 -0600

On Fri, Sep 11, 1998 at 02:23:07PM -0500, Justin A. Kolodziej wrote:
> rboos@student.uni-kl.de wrote:
>
> > I'm quite disappointed that my ATAPI-Cdroms can't be mounted right with the 2.1.120 kernel...the bug appears, when the drawer of the cdrom is open, and i then
> > try to mount this cdrom...of course with a cd on the drawer.
>
> > It only gives a message that the cdrom ist not ready....and then the mount hangs. But the thing that makes me worry about is that the mount-operation cannot
> > be aborted, even with kill -KILL.
>
> Hmmm... It works fine on my old Mitsumi 4X (!) CDROM. Typing "mount
> /cdrom" pulls the cd into the drive and mounts it, although it takes a
> while ;-)
>
> I and the rest of the list would appreciate it if you told us what
> CD-ROM you have. Perhaps there's something funny with these newfangled
> 32X and faster CD-ROMs they have out.
>
> Thanks...
>
> Justin A. Kolodziej
>
> --
> Linux kix buttox!

Hmm. It works just fine for me here under 2.1.120. You dont have
"options cdrom autoclose=0" in /etc/conf.modules, right? Could you try
adding "options cdrom debug=1" so I can see where the mount process
dies? The output of dmesg (just the ide and cdrom specific parts) would
also be useful, so we know what type of drive it is...

-Erik
The linux cdrom guy

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/