Re: Printer-device configuration problems

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Fri, 11 Sep 1998 01:08:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

>Hardware:
> Tyan dual Pentium II 400 motherboard
> One parallel port, base address jumpered to 378 (normally lp1)

Now normally lp0 ;-).

>I now think I'm seeing two separate bugs:
>
>Bug #1: Failure of get_device_list() to find configured devices with major=6
>
> This bug has been observed on two different machines; mine, under both
>2.0.35 and 2.1.120, and the print server at VA Research (according to Rob
>Walker, copied above).
> My machine under 2.0.35 and VAR's print server can both print
>through lp1, despite the fact that "cat /proc/devices" doesn't show "6 lp"
>as it apparently should. So the lp device is functional in these
>configurations but it's invisible under /proc. What's up with *that*?

In 2.1.121 I see "6 lp" in /proc/devices with lp linked into the kernel
and as module.

>Bug #2: Something isn't right in the 2.1.xx lp initialization
>
> My machine under 2.1.120 cannot print. Attempts to cat to /dev/lp0
>or /dev/lp1 yield "Operation not supported by device".

ls -l /dev/lp?

just to be sure ;-).

root@dragon:~# ls -l /dev/lp?
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 0 Nov 28 1997 /dev/lp0
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 1 May 6 1997 /dev/lp1
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 2 May 6 1997 /dev/lp2
crw-rw---- 1 root lp 6, 3 May 6 1997 /dev/lp3

> I suspect this has something to do with the facts that (a) the port
>address configured for the port is 378, which would normally be lp1,
>(b) /proc/parport contains only the entry `0', and (c) the 2.1.xx
>driver, unlike the 2.0.xx driver, tries to map port addresses
>to devices dynamically.

Can you run:

root@dragon:~# cat /proc/parport/*/*
lp
base: 0x378
irq: none
dma: none
modes: SPP,PS2,EPP
none

>Frobbing lp boot time options has yielded no good result.

Can you run:

root@dragon:~# cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=linux_dev ro root=301

I can' t see anything broken in lp/parport and everything works just fine
here (linekd and modularized).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli