Re: GPS Leap Second Scheduled!

Ryan Moore (rmoore@rmoore.i.seawood.org)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 15:02:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, Oliver Xymoron wrote:
> Finally, telling the kernel to schedule a leap second seems pretty ugly as
> well.

Except that it's already doing it. At least it is if you're running ntpd
or xntpd. I've seen the Linux kernel do leap seconds on my machine
before.

In 2.0.35 at least, the code is in /usr/src/linux/kernel/sched.c
In function second_overflow().

The kernel even prints a log message:

printk(KERN_NOTICE "Clock: inserting leap second 23:59:60 UTC\n");

in one case and...

printk(KERN_NOTICE "Clock: deleting leap second 23:59:59 UTC\n");

in another.