Re: ncr53c875-0-<0,0>: M_REJECT received due to xm3401b cd-rom

Krzysztof Halasa (khc@intrepid.pm.waw.pl)
10 Sep 1998 01:47:27 +0200

Gerhard.Traeger@t-online.de (Gerhard Traeger) writes:

> Since kernel >2.1.107, i.e. ncr53c8xx-3.0e, linux does no longer boot
> on this machine:
>
> - IBM DCHS39100-UW, 9GB hard disk, id 1, autostart active,
> active termination, parity + TISN active
> | 25cm uw/68pin ribbon-cable
> - SYM8751SP scsi adapter
> | 31cm 50pin ribbon
> - toshiba XM-3401B cd-rom, id 4, no term, parity enabled,
> Burst: 4.2MBytes/sec(sync), 1.5MB/s(async)
> | 35 cm
> - IBM DFHS34320, 4.5GB hard disk, id 0, autostart,
> active termination, parity + TISN active

> There is no (scsi) error when i disconnect the XM-3401B cd-rom.

The same here: ASUS 53C875 UW controller, two 1GB Fujitsu narrow/fast
disks, a 4GB Fujitsu UW disk (MAB3045SP AFAIR), an old Quantum 340 MB
(4MB/s async SCSI), a Tandberg 500MB tape and Toshiba XM-3401B CD.

There were no such problems with 2.1.105 and before.
2.1.117, 2.1.120 give SCSI timeout errors (for example - 2 or 3 times
per minute - SCSI bus is reset) while accessing Fujitsu 4GB disk only.
(This drive is heavily loaded, while the rest is not).
I noticed M_REJECT on each device once. Disconnecting power from
XM-3401B CDROM makes the system work well.

On the other hand, I noticed that after warm booting (shutdown -r)
the machine, SCSI BIOS has some problems with recognizing the devices.
Sometimes, it was even unable to load the kernel from 1GB disk.(Linux
has problems with ultra wide disk only, not with 1GB FAST-10MB/s
synchronous SCSI disks). I assume this might be CD's fault.

Using default SCSI controller settings. Details available on request.

--
Krzysztof Halasa
Network Administrator of The Palace of Youth in Warsaw