Re: Deleted files recovery

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 09:34:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> I had it !
> I just lost many man pages on my system due to problem with the
> man-pages-1.21 package. ( described in a separate post )
>
> Deleted file recovery is a MUST !
>
> I know it has been discussed already, but it just hit me hard ...
>
> If there is a solution already ( except backups , I can not make a backup
> before every write to the disk ! ) , please excuse my ignorance and point
> me to the right information.

daily incrementals keep you out of most trouble.

> How about this idea :
>
> Every file to be deleted should be moved to a special directory instead.
> ( like 'mount-point/deleted-files/' )
> This shouldn't be any slower than a normal delete.

This would cause a serious performance hit on many kinds of servers. I can
imagine it effectivly doubling the amount of time it takes to do expirerm
on a news box.

> When the space is up on the disk , just delete some entries from
> the 'deleted-files/' . In any order, I don't care.
> This might induce some performance problems, but I could live with it.
> Besides , make it an option !

Seems like there are some security implications if you treat it just
another directory in the filesystem, ie its world writable or it has some
setuid parts to handle deletion of user files.

> This could be best implemented in the ext2 driver , but could be
> doable as a libc solution too. Or even as some pre_load library.
>
> Someone ? :-)
>
> --
> David Balazic , student
> E-mail : 1stein@writeme.com | living in sLOVEnija
> home page: http://surf.to/stein
> Computer: Amiga 1200 + Quantum LPS-340AT
> --
>
> -

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E