Re: UVFAT? (Yes, I remember this being kicked around a while ag)

Gordon Chaffee (chaffee@cs.berkeley.edu)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 15:05:35 -0700 (PDT)

Eric Princen writes:
> Question: Is there a UVFAT type thing to allow permissions and user.group on
> fat32 partitions? Was I just ignorant and missed it?
> Question2: Does the massive UMSDOS patch address this and I am merely
> wasting everybody's time?

There isn't a UVFAT right now for Linux 2.1. The guy who did it for
Linux 2.0 (as a patch, not integrated) may do it again for 2.1, but I
wouldn't count on it. His name/email address is

Michael Leodolter <michael@lab1.psy.univie.ac.at>

> Reason: I still need my Win98 stuff on my Linux box for some things. I
> occasionally like to keep big things off my more valuable Linux partitions
> (dev kernels for example) and some builds require links or other twiddles
> vfat does not seem to support.

I'm looking at adding some optional symlink support to the vfat
filesystem to make it easier to do things like build kernels or
other things that require symlinks. Basically, a symlink would be a file
with the contents of something like:

:SymLink -> asm-i386

This mechanism could also be used to support device files so that a
single user Linux system could be put on a vfat partition, but for right
now, I'm only targeting symlinks. You wouldn't get any of the benefits
of permissions, and you still wouldn't get be able to have two files with
different cases (i.e. makefile and Makefile), but it would be useful for
some purposes.

- Gordon