Re: 2.1.120 breaks PC keyboard

Andrew J. Scott (A.J.Scott@casdn.neu.edu)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:31:38 EDT

Hi,

I compiled a test server, and got several errors. On bootup, I saw two
messages about keyboard time out. There was a message about a lost
interrupt, and the ncr8xx driver kept resetting.

The system is an IBM 365 PPro, with an IDE cd-rom, an ncr 815 based scsi
card and Dec 10/100 network card. I have two scsi HD's an old 600 meg scsi
1 and a newer 4 gig scsi2. This system works fine with 2.0.x, and would
boot with kernals prior to 2.1.119. I'm currently recompileing the kernel
with the ncr7,8xx driver to see if this will at least let me finish the
bootup.

It appears that I can no longer run a SMP kernel on my UP machine. This
used to be possible, in fact it ran with no problem. Recompileing with SMP
commented out results in a bootable kernel.

On 6 Sep 98, at 18:26, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.980906182854.13663A-100000@mylly.firmament.fi>,
> T Taneli Vahakangas <vahakang@cs.Helsinki.FI> wrote: >On Sat, 5 Sep 1998,
> Trevor Johnson wrote: >> I was unable to use a Focus 2001 101-key keyboard
> attached to a >> motherboard with an ITE IT8680F-A controller (I had some
> trouble reading >> the marking) and Intel VX chip set. After booting,
> pressing various keys >> gave no response. The LED for number lock stayed
> lit, and when I >> telnetted in to shut down the computer, I noticed that
> only one interrupt >> from the keyboard had been recorded in
> /proc/cpuinfo. I have run other >> kernels, including pre-2.1.120-2,
> without this problem. E-mail me for >> .config. > >Do you get "Keyboard
> Timeout"s in the boot process? I get two of them and >good-bye keyboard.
> This just doesn't happen on every boot (fortunately). >It started with
> 2.1.120-pre2, I think.
>
> Could you who see this problem try different values for the value of
> KBD_INIT_TIMEOUT in pc_keyb.h? That's really the only thing that changed
> as far as I can tell: the new code does not rely on the timer interrupt
> any more, and maybe the timeout is too short..
>
> The other thing that changed is when the PS/2 mouse driver tells the
> system that it is accepting mouse interrupts, but that shouldn't make any
> difference.
>
> So I'd like people who see this try:
> - increase the timeouts in pc_keyb.h. It may just be that.
> - if that doesn't work, revert the changes in 2.1.120 to pc_keyb.[ch] -
> if that doesn't work, rever the changes in 2.1.120 to psaux.c
>
> and please tell me what happens. The PS/2 mouse changes are definitely
> needed on some machines, but maybe they need to be done differently (the
> problem is that both the PS/2 mouse and the keyboard really use the same
> controller, and I suspect the drivers should be integrated more than they
> are now to fix the basic problem).
>
> Oh, and please tell me whether you have "kbd-reset" in your kernel
> command line or not..
>
> Thanks,
> Linus
>
> -
> the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu Please read the FAQ at
> http://www.tux.org/lkml/faq.html

------------------Mailed via Pegasus 2.53 & Mercury 1.30---------------
A.J.Scott@casdn.neu.edu Fax (617)373-2942
Andrew Scott Tel (617)373-5278 _
Northeastern University--138 Meserve Hall / \ /
College of Arts & Sciences-Deans Office / \ \ /
Boston, Ma. 02115 http://www.casdn.neu.edu / \_/