Re: ppp-compress modprobe problems

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 19:58:46 +1200

On Wed, Sep 09, 1998 at 05:13:19PM +0930, David Newall wrote:

> > Do you know the patent numbers or where I can find details on
> > these algorithms? It should be possible for people in the free
> > world to use these,
>
> This sounds awfuly like a declaration of intent to wilfully violate
> somebody's intellectual property rights.

Thats sounds like someone jumping to conclusions.

> Being in the free world doesn't give you the right to steal someone
> else's hard work or good ideas.

Indeed it does not.

Algorithm Patents are applicable in most of the world, hence I can
write and use such code (even if they patents were enforcible here,
they would have to be applied for in this country).

For example, RSA can't be used freely under many circumstances in the
US, but can elsewhere on the world - including Australia.

-Chris