Re: Linux Frequently Asked Questions with Answers (Part 2 of 3)

Jim Dennis (jimd@starshine.org)
Tue, 08 Sep 1998 21:07:44 -0700

Jim Dennis <jimd@starshine.org>, writes,

>> What about kthreads?

> I can't find a kthreads package anywhere. Is it a kernel option in
> 2.1, which I don't have installed on any of my machines (too busy to
> do kernel hacking).

> Thanks again,
> Robert Kiesling

If I understand it correctly 'kthreads' are built into
most of the modern kernels (since 1.2.??). It consists
of the 'clone()' system call and presumably some other
stuff to help manage them.

I've copied the linux-kernel mailing list so that those
who know better can fill in the details and offer the
appropriate corrections.

Kernel Dudes:

This thread is part of a list of suggestions that I made
to the illustrious maintainer of the Linux FAQ. He's
merged most of the suggestion in and he and I are stuck on
this one.

I guess the question was:

Does Linux support "threads"?

Please go easy on us. (Feel free to copy me on all of
the traffic. When the thread seems complete, I'll summarize
and forward it back to Robert, if that's acceptable to all).

--
Jim Dennis,		                  The Linux Gazette "Answer Guy"
Linux Gazette is Published under the GPL     http://www.linuxgazette.com