Re: Dual Pentium won't boot from IDE HD

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@astro.dyer.vanderbilt.edu)
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 00:54:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:

> I have a dual-pentium system, I just installed RedHat 5.1 (so that means
> 2.0.34 kernel) but the machine won't boot from the IDE disk. It boots
> from the floppy just fine, and it boots NT from the SCSI disk just fine,
> but when I configure the BIOS to boot from the IDE disk (Primary on IDE#2)
> I get "LI" and it hangs.

You can't boot from ide connected to secondary controller and expect lilo
to be happy. If your SCSI drive is what you are booting from, then
you need to adjust the MBR of the SCSI drive to handle booting linux, too.

Else you need to constuct something ugly like this.....
(this was a disk switch for booting dos, for testing stuff)

# DOS bootable partition config begins
#other=/dev/hda1
# loader=/boot/chain.b
# label = dos
# table =/dev/hda
# map-drive = 0x80
# to = 0x81
# map-drive = 0x81
# to = 0x80
# DOS bootable partition config ends
# DOS bootable partition config begins
#other=/dev/hdb1
# loader=/boot/chain.b
# label = dos
# table =/dev/hdb
# map-drive = 0x80
# to = 0x81
# map-drive = 0x81
# to = 0x80
# DOS bootable partition config ends

I have forgotten the the details of how and why, but I kept this for
a silly reason that I can not remember either.

Cheers,
AMH