Re: memory management and the status of

Tue, 8 Sep 1998 15:55:37 +0100

On Tue, Sep 08, 1998 at 12:26:02AM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> For this case you might want to use my package "preload"
> (http://www.math.upenn.edu/~vdergach/Linux) It has a module that allows
> one to capture the current contents of the cache into a file and a program
> that loads these files. (it doesn't capture the data, but which files
> (and where) were actually loaded)

Nice. (Haven't looked at it, but I like the idea).

For large parallel makes I've used a `preload_cache' program that pulls
files into cache just prior to using them for a compile, and sits on a
mutex to prevent pulling in two simultaneously (that would cause head
thrashing).

The idea was to reduce or even (gasp!) eliminate head thrashing while
doing parallel makes. It worked, but it's only worth it of the source
files are large (mine were multi-megabyte images). So probably not
worth it for the kernel makefiles.

-- Jamie