Re: IDE URL to add (was Re: DMA questions)

Tue, 8 Sep 1998 03:06:30 +0100

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 01:02:00PM -0400, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:
> So, what you're basically saying is that UDMA doesn't work correctly on it?
> Using -X34 is explictedly setting it to use pre-UDMA DMA.

I thought that might be the case; that's why I've been hinting for
someone to tell me how I can tell :-)

With -X34, I get 9MB/s out of hdparm -t, which suggests UDMA to me.
This is because I get exactly the same figures without -X34 (but with
-d). Without -d, whatever the -X34 setting, I get 4.5MB/s, exactly half
the DMA rate at the highest PIO setting. It all smells suspiciously
like UDMA is on to me.

So I am quite happy with the sustained data transfer rate with -d -X34.
Now, how can I tell when UDMA is enabled for sure? Or even, is there a
way I can explicitly switch it on to see what happens?

-- Jamie