Re: [offtopic] Re: I2c was: Cobalt Micro (was Re: Build your own

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 10:20:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Sep 1998, Rogier Wolff wrote:
> > Alan Cox wrote:
> > > i2c is what holds the control circuitry of the average tv set together (
> > > and incidentally why tv cards for PC's tend to use i2c onboard). There
> > > is linux backend support for i2c too.
> >
> > One imho major drawback is that i2c is limited to about 4 meters. If
> > you want more you need special bus converters or something like
> > that.
> >
> > This is from memory, having looked at i2c for home-control about 5
> > years ago.
>
> Would it be possible to crack open my TV, find the tuner area, locate the
> I2C, hook it to the computer and sniff it, then use the computer to
> control the TV? (same for microwave and other such devices)?

For a TV, hooking up infrared LEDs to your computer is an alternative solution.
Then your computer can play programmable remote control.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be