Re: 2.1.120 report [misc. stuff/longish]

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:31:04 +1200

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 08:29:08PM -0400, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:

> root(5)@neko [103 /usr2/root] # depmod -ae
> /lib/modules/2.1.120/fs/nfs.o: unresolved symbol(s)
> checksignals
> /lib/modules/2.1.120/misc/sunrpc.o: unresolved symbol(s)
> checksignals
> /lib/modules/2.1.120/ipv4/ip_gre.o: unresolved symbol(s)
> icmpv6_send
> ipv6_addr_type
>
> I've seen the patch for checksignals(), so that's easy. But not for the
> ip_gre unresolvables.

Patches to l-k fix this already. The first from Bill Hawes. Do you
really use GRE?

> 2. sluggishness
>
> This is about as unprofessional as possible, but 2.1.120 feels _VERY_
> sluggish compared to almost any other 2.1.x version. I _used_ to be able
> to "make MAKE='make -j4'" on one VC and burn a 2x cd on the other. No
> longer. In fact, even running PINE is difficult.

This is odd.

To me, 2.1.120 feels as quick as ever. This goes for command-line
activity, compiles, quake2.

I'm running UP - perhaps something SMP is broken?

> 3. 3c59x driver

Its broken and known broken. back out the relevant parts of the diff.
Or wait until 2.1.121 the driver will have the new PCI stuff in it,
but the 2.1.119 driver-logic (It think DaveM said he was going to do
this?)

> I put today a 3c905 into my box hoping to replace the 3c509 that I
> current have. The 3c509 would constantly get timeouts

How often do you see these? Looking at the logs, its one every minute
or so, less perhaps.

If this a heavily loaded ethernet segment?

> I reported this problem before, but was 100% ignored (or told
> "welcome to ethernet"). Even though, in testing, I only had two
> machines on my net. The box I'm talking about and another. There
> are no collisions or attempts to transmit at the same time (at
> least not to excess). Copying the linux 2.1.120 source tree from
> one box to another took well over 30m with well over 500+ timeouts.
> Completely unusable.

OK - can you copy from one to the other under 2.0.34?

> 4. unmounting / at shutdown/reboot doesn't work.

Can you please explain `doesn't work'?

> 5. autofs

No idea about that one.

-cw