Re: 2.1.119 and Cyrix detection

Fuzzy Fox (fox@dallas.net)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:22:22 -0500

Kurt Garloff <garloff@kg1.ping.de> wrote:

> > processor : 0
> > cpu family : 4
> > model : 6x86MX 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
> > vendor_id : CyrixInstead
> > stepping : 2.6
> > ..
> > cpuid level : -1
> > wp : yes
> > flags :
> > bogomips : 156.88
>
> What's wrong about this? You CPU does 2.5 x 66 MHz = 166 MHz -> you
> should see about 165 BogoMips ...

What's wrong are the "cpu family", "cpuid level", and the "flags."

> CPUID seems to be off by default on your CPU, though I was believing
> 6x86MX has it turned on by default. Strange.

Yep. On my 2.0 kernel, the CPUID and flags are detected correctly:

cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu de tsc msr cx8 cmov mmx

Why aren't any of these flags detected in the 2.1 kernel? Why does 2.1
think that a 6x86 is a cpu family of 4? I don't get it

More importantly, why does the CPU type detected change if you set SMP=1?

--
   fox@dallas.net (Fuzzy Fox)      || "Nothing takes the taste out of peanut
sometimes known as David DeSimone  ||  butter quite like unrequited love."