Re: 2.0.35 parallell port very slow

Russell Lambert (russell@amdyne.net)
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 22:34:02 -0400

I definitely have the correct IRQ. My parallel port is actually on IO port 0x278

I have the parport driver compiled into the kernel directly. Since it isn't in a
module I just use lilo to pass it the arguments. Until I found that disabling the
IRQ, I was using append="parport=0x278,5,3"
For IRQ5 and DMA3. IRQ 7 is currently used by my sound card. That works fine.

As for what kind of motherboard I have : Tyan S1570 AT
It doesn't specify the make of the parallel port chipset. All it says is that it
is a ECP/EPP Bi-Directional Hi-speed port.
The printer is an Epson Stylus COLOR 400

Your program would not compile. I don't know how to send you the exact error
messages it said because make > errors didn't work. But I narrowed it down to
when it creates the .depend file. It was about version.h and autoconf.h

There is one more interesting note about this whole thing... when I originally
installed Windows 98, I used their drivers from the disk and it did the same
thing. Then when I used the OEM drivers from Epson, it didn't do it anymore.