Re: AMD SMP

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:15:50 +1200

On Mon, Sep 07, 1998 at 06:33:16PM +0200, Alexander Kjeldaas wrote:

> Give me a CPU with a dedicated FPGA execution unit instead of the
> media-instruction rubbish any day.

You know what an FPGA is right?

A custom piece of silicon tuned to do the same job would probably be
much much faster, so if you can distill out what operations (or sets
thereof) are common for applications that do much CPU work, then
implement those in silicon, I think its worth while. MMX goes some
ways towards this, but now far enough (and it integer only).

-Chris