Re: [TIMINGS] Re: 2.1.xxx makes Electric Fence 22x slower

Andrea Arcangeli (arcangeli@mbox.queen.it)
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 17:37:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

>> My profiling is 100% realiable.
>
>I would not say 100% reliable, but more reliable - there are two issues with
>-pg profiling: one is cache footprint of mcount, the other is that gcc at
>the moment calls mcount only on function entry and not exit, so that means

The profiling I implemented tell you _exactly_ how many times every not
inlined function is been recalled. This has nothing to do with the time
that the kernel has spent in such function (and as I just said probably is
not the kind of profiling needed to get numbers of different vma structure
implementation).

Andrea[s] Arcangeli