Re: [NOT OFFTOPIC] Re: groups

Feuer (feuer@his.com)
Mon, 07 Sep 1998 00:11:18 -0400

Seems to me that user-manageable groups would not eliminate the need for ACLs,
but that it does complement them, allowing additional flexibility and ease of
use.  ACL=access control list, right?
Another question:  what reads /etc/group?  Is it the kernel or something else?  I
don't seem to recall much about it from APUE.  If it is the kernel, it may be
desirable to modify, in the kernel, the way the thing is handled to allow for the
concept of a manager of a group.  My current guess is that it is read by login,
but I'm not sure.  They are probably right that this is not really kernel
related, but IMHO this topic is worthy of discussion, possibly on
comp.os.linux.system or some such.