Build your own Motherboards (was Re: AMD K6 233 Cpu 465

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 08:43:22 -0400 (EWT)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

> That's not such a bad idea. The problem is that designing something isn't
> equivalent to building it. unless they make MMETs commonplace it costs a
> billion $ to have your own plant.

I would have thought that there are plenty of companies who would be
willing to manufacture a motherboard to your specifications using common
off the shelf components. I think this would be a nice small niche in the
market.

> Even a more moderate idea (like designing an SMP mainboard for Power PC)
> can be pretty complex. The thing is it will cost a lot to produce a 6-7
> levels board. It's not ham radio unfortunately :(

Yes, but once you've done the design work, it's quite cheap to manufacture
them. It's the design & development that is the real killer here.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!