Re: Module Ideas: Persistence, PnP, and more...

Alon Ziv (alonz@cs.Technion.AC.IL)
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 02:58:56 +0300 (IDT)

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> > But putting all settings in one memory block, adding this block's address
> > to struct module, changing all modules to conform, *AND* adding a syscall
> > is (IMO) even messier.
>
> The blocks are easy. Use another ELF section for it
>
> __persistent int foo

*gulp* I just didn't think about this. Silly me.

> > Another point: if we use a separate program than rmmod to read the
> > settings, it may be able to access settings of compiled-in drivers using a
> > ksyms-like interface.
>
> That might be useful. Alternatively it might be a subtle hint we should
> use sysctl() for all of it

I don't think so; textual sysctl is a lot to write (= more code bloat),
and has the initialization problems I already mentioned (like with sound
mixer settings). But maybe we can automatically export a /proc file for
each module, with its current settings magically read from its settings
block (as all settings blocks will, presumably, have a uniform structure).
(The /proc code can be common to all drivers, so it won't have noticable
overhead).

> > And the parameter name conventions, plus the extensions to parameter
> > definition syntax, are what makes this scheme feasible.
>
> With name data you can actually write a seperate X11 module configuration
> tool

I've already mentioned this in my original post--- I suggested using this
info in kernelcfg.

-az