Re: Module Ideas: Persistence, PnP, and more...

Alon Ziv (alonz@cs.Technion.AC.IL)
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 02:49:50 +0300 (IDT)

On 4 Sep 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > >1. Persistence
> >
> > >One of the major pitfalls with current module support is that user
> > >settings are not saved between uses of a module. This includes both
> > >`initialization' settings (set using `parm=xxx' at insmod time) and
> > >runtime-tunable settings (such as sound volume).
>
> I thought there was already a way to get "insmod" to keeppersistent
> data for the module?

No--- there was some framework done for this, but it depended on kerneld
and so was rendered useless when kerneld died.

(And good riddance, too; it was an extremely cumbersome method, with the
driver sending messages to kerneld to record keyed information into a
database or query the database by key... So it had the same purpose as
the module parameters mechanism, just with outcalls for keeping the
settings, and it required some kernel code changes to support it, which
are (IMO) superflous...)

-az