Re: Odd 2.0.35 problems with APM on VIA motherboards

Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede@et.tudelft.nl)
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 18:38:41 +0200

Jamie wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 09:16:13AM +0200, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:
>> It seems the VIA BIOS APM code malfunctions when powering down/up the
>> hard disks. This is not at all my area of competence, so I am CC'ing
>> the maintainers of the APM code.
>
>Please note, I have a VIA VP2/97 based board which I use with APM with
>no APM-related problems. My system powers down the disk along with
>other things after 15 minutes idle time, which happens quite a few times
>per day. It runs for weeks like this.
>
>(It is an FIC-PA2007 + AMD K6/233 + Quantum FB ST 6.4G drive).
>
>I've not tried setting the hard disk to power itself down when there's
>no disk activity. Just used the BIOS power down settings, including the
>one for powering down the disk. This means, for example, that when I
>hit a key to bring it back, the disk spins up (and Linux is paused while
>this happens). I expect there is some Linux setting whereby the disk
>only spins up when there is pending disk activity, and Linux does not
>need to pause when the machine comes out of the idle state.
>
>[Other, perhaps related problem: I can get total lockups when using UDMA
>if I don't also use hdparm -X34, but I get them whether APM is enabled
>or not. With -X34 I've experienced no problems at all.]

When you say "wether apm is enabled or not" do you mean in your bios/ or
in your
kernel. And is only apm disabled or also hd-sleeping.

I happen to have a quantum fb st 6.4A drive too. And both I and a
friend
of mine who also has this hd (and doesn't have a via mb!) are
experiencing hardlockups
when udma is enalbed and the hd spinsup.

So disabling/enabling apm doesn't help. The hdspinning after set by the
bios is
controlled by the hd itself and can only be set from hdparm afaik.

So it seems that the quantum st6.4A has a bug which causes it to hang
with udma + hd-sleeping.
I would like to have this investigated further.

It's also very interesting that you say it doesn't hang with -X34.
what would that do exactly ?

Regards,

Hans