Re: 2.1.119 and Cyrix detection

Gregory McLean (gregm@comstar.net)
Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:12:52 -0400

> On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 06:42:12PM -0400, Gregory McLean wrote:
>
> > Yep 2.1.119 still fails to detect this cyrix chip properly.
> >
> > CPU 6x86MX PR 233+
> > Calibrating delay loop... 156.88 BogoMIPS
> > CPU: Cyrix 6x86MX 2.5x Core/Bus Clock stepping 2.6
> >
> > Ok the initial check gets it right (somewhat it gets the stepping wrong)
> >
> > then /proc/cpuinfo has the same incorrect info
> > processor : 0
> > cpu family : 4
> > model : 6x86MX 2.5x Core/Bus Clock
> > vendor_id : CyrixInstead
> > stepping : 2.6
> > ..
> > cpuid level : -1
> > wp : yes
> > flags :
> > bogomips : 156.88
>
> What's wrong about this? You CPU does 2.5 x 66 MHz = 166 MHz -> you should
> see about 165 BogoMips ...
> CPUID seems to be off by default on your CPU, though I was believing 6x86MX
> has it turned on by default. Strange. That's why you CPU family of 4.
>
> > [gregm@tweetie gregm]$ uname -a
> > Linux tweetie 2.1.119 #17 Thu Aug 27 22:09:07 EDT 1998 i486 unknown
> > [gregm@tweetie gregm]$
>
> And this is the consequence of cpu family == 4.
>
> I remeber having read a posting, where somebody claimed that egcs optimizes
> some routines for CPU recignition which causes the 6x86 not to be detected
> correctly. Don't know if this is the case for you. I also remeber that it
> only happened with kernels configured for 586 and 686. ?

In my orginal post I said I switched from egcs back to 2.7.2 to see if thats
was what was messing stuff up.. I'll try and turn the CPUID back on for this
chip and see what blows up (that is if I can figure it out :) )

I really don't pay much attention to the bogo mips as they are basicly
meaningless..

I did configure my kernel as a 686 (as indicated by the option)

--
Gregory McLean
Engineer