Re: Module Ideas: Persistence, PnP, and more...

Anthony Ginepro (ang@mail.dotcom.fr)
04 Sep 1998 10:04:56 +0200

Alon Ziv <alonz@cs.Technion.AC.IL> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Following are some ideas I've been playing with for enhancing module
> support a bit more. These ideas are 2.3 stuff, but I'd like some comments
> on them before I'm too deeply coding... Especially from Richard (as I'm
> radically changing modutils) and from Alan (as my ideas concern PnP, which
> he's mentioned as a 2.3 goal).
>
> So, here goes.
>
> 1. Persistence
>
> One of the major pitfalls with current module support is that user
> settings are not saved between uses of a module. This includes both
> `initialization' settings (set using `parm=xxx' at insmod time) and
> runtime-tunable settings (such as sound volume).
>
> To get over this, I suggest a completely user-space approach.

[Your method]

I thought that was why "pre-install" & "post-install" commands
were implemented for in modules.conf.
Here's an example with my soundcard and alsa module :

---
options snd-sb16 snd_index=1 snd_port=0x220 snd_irq=10 snd_dma8=1 snd_dma16=5
post-install snd-sb16 cat /etc/mixer0 > /proc/sound/card1/mixer0
pre-remove snd-sb16 cat /proc/sound/card1/mixer0 > /etc/mixer0
---
	I don't really think we need something else...but maybe I'm wrong.

-- Anthony Ginepro (aka Rapiere on #linuxfr@IRCNET)