Re: 2.1.119 "oops"es on a few heavy-loaded servers

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:54:23 -0400

Simon Kirby wrote:
> Being the brave moron I am, I decided to put 2.1.119 on two of our
> most-important heavily-loaded production servers at our web hosting
> company. One is a statistics compilation server (which uses a lot of NFS
> reads and writes), and one is our mail server and DNS server which also
> has a lot of logins running pine (its average load average is about 3.50
> and it does an average of about 0.5 megabytes of disk I/O per second).
>
> Good news: The mail server run so much more efficiently that almost every
> staff member told me they were amazed at how much faster the machine felt.
> The stats server actually went from being completely unusable to feeling
> almost unloaded when connecting to the Apache server on it. (Good work,
> guys!)
>
> Bad news: Two oopses on the mail server.

It's good that you're using the latest kernels for testing, but you'll
need to post the oops reports if you want us to track them down :-)
Please run the oops reports through ksymoops and send them in, along
with any relevant messages in your syslogs.

Regards,
Bill