Re: Hard Hangs with 2.0.35+Jumbo-9, reproducable

Andrew Derrick Balsa (andrebalsa@altern.org)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:42:52 +0200

Hi Andre, Hans,

On Thu, 03 Sep 1998, Andre M. Hedrick wrote:
>Andrew and Michel,
>
>Is our patch valid only for VP3 and not for VP1/VP2?

No, basically it works fine with all VIA chipsets, because VIA has (wisely)
kept the same IDE controller structure across chipset revisions. The
Southbridge chip is basically unchanged.

I guess we'll only need some small changes for the new ATA-66 capable
VIA Southbridge chip. ;-)

>Second, I have discovered the hardware that ide interfaces go only
>as fast as the slowest device. There may be a timing error due to
>device or conflicts or something of this nature.
>
>What do you say?

How do you mean? Do you mean the interfaces (ide0 & ide1) or the drives (hda &
hdb, or hdc& hdd)? I am pretty sure the code detects each drive individually, so
for each drive one gets the ideal timing.

To demonstrate this: Hans, can you edit your patched triton.c, and define
DISPLAY_APOLLO_TIMINGS? Then please recompile, and report the output from
/proc/via.

This will give us a very detailed report of each drive timing parameters.

>This may be a case of individual device tuning of the chipset.

Let's see the output from Hans' /proc/via. This should clear all doubts.

Cheers,

--
Andrew D. Balsa
andrebalsa@altern.org