Re: UFS and Digital CDs

Maciej W. Rozycki (macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:57:58 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Erik Andersen wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 09:31:14PM -0400, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > This is still an A-number-one system killer, folks:
> >
> > 1) Place DEC distribution CD in drive.
> > 2) Type:
> >
> > # mount -t ufs /dev/hda /mnt
> >
> > and... she's dead Jim.
> >
> > Instantaneous full kernel lock-up. 100% repeatable on any machine with
> > any type (IDE or SCSI) of drive. No error messages, no log messages.
> >
> > Who would be the person to look into this little show-stopper?
> >
> > Steve
> >

> I maintain the ide-cd code and the uniform cdrom driver. This first step
> will make uniform be quite verbose. I am assuming you are using a 2.1.x
> kernel. With a nice shiny new kernel I have added some debugging stuff
> that may help narrow down where the problem lies. Add the following:

The problem lies in the UFS code. See a temporary patch at
'http://www.tunes.org/~fare/files/bu-2.1.117.patch.gz' which does not make
UFS work but at least prevents it from halting the kernel.

I believe Francois-Rene Rideau <fare@tunes.org> will be happy to see any
corrections.