Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

Pietro Iglio (iglio@fub.it)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 09:37:41 +0200

At 23.22 02/09/98 +0200, dash@mail.linpro.no wrote:
>Are you sure you would be able to stop doing this even with Meta File
>Information in place? (Would you then have 120 files named linux
>(with differing M.F.I) in one directory?)

OK, I have to clarify this point. What I'm saying here is that relevant
information (such as architecture and version) should *not* be stored inside
the file name: in the database world it is like storing a person name, sex,
birth date, etc. into the same record.
Keeping this info separately would have the following advantages:

- some programs could read this info;
- directory listing could be easily sorted by version number (what's the
latest version among 120 files?);
- finding a given file much easier. Currently, when running find, I have to
remember if the version was 1.0.102 or 1-0-102, and if the platform was
i386-linux or intel-linux.

Of course, if I want to keep 120 version of the same file in the same
directory,
I must to use a naming convention. BUT that's just a naming convention: the
real information should be stored elsewhere.

-- Pietro Iglio