Re: Problem booting with 2 Adaptec Controllers

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 01:37:57 -0500

Rob Naccarato wrote:

> I've been trying to get the 2.0.35 kernel installed on my Pentium II
> machine and am running into a problem. This machine has on onboard
> Adaptec AIC-7xxx controller as well as a PCI Adaptec 2940UW. The system
> disc is located on the on board SCSI bus.
>
> When booting the new kernel, I get the message: "Unable to open initial
> console".
>
> The above message appears *only* when the bioses are enabled on both
> controllers. If you disable the bios on the 2940UW, then the SCSI bus
> id's get "flipped". The system disc is then located on bus 1 instead of
> 0.
>
> This problem does not occur with the 2.0.33 kernel.

Look into the README.aic7xxx file in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi. It should
detail the use of the aic7xxx=reverse_scan option.

--

Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> Opinions expressed are my own, but they should be everybody's.