RE: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (oracle no justification)

Majdi Abbas (abbas@cdtelecom.com)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 17:30:30 -0400

On Wednesday, September 02, 1998 4:45 PM, Paul Barton-Davis [SMTP:pbd@Op.Net]
wrote:
> hans writes:
>
> >I don't know anything about RMS, but ORACLE uses raw disk for a
> >reason..... To avoid letting layering give you the worst performance
> >aspects of two storage models combined.
>
> but he can't be allowed to get away with this. first of all, Oracle
> delicately point out there are some real headaches associated with
> using raw partitions (i.e. character device files) that crop up when
> one of their data files fills up. backup issues also become more
> complex. anyone who's administered complex oracle db's knows the kind
> of thing i'm referring to: not insoluble, but worthy of note.

There are amazingly real headaches associated with the use of raw
device files in Oracle for backup and restore situations...Given the rise of
faster controllers/CPUs/drives, Oracle has deprecated this option and
strongly recommends the use of ordinary files, especially for systems
that have a logical volume manager (like HP-UX or AIX) -- this also allows one
to allow dynamic resizing of the datafiles; combined with the LVM, it is
possible to add a drive to a system, grow various partitions using it, and
keep going. The same isn't possible with raw device files.

I haven't upgraded our production systems to Oracle8 yet but I have
a feeling the option will disappear soon if it hasn't already...there are no
good
reasons to use a raw device at this point in time.

--Majdi

--
Majdi Abbas	Systems/Network Admin	734-995-5590 x229
CableData Telecommunications, Inc.		Fax: 734-995-5989