Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (and a note at the end on current reiserfs status)

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:17:13 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> Just keep it in userspace thats all

Yes, that would be the easiest way to develop LinuxVMS.

> Go ahead. There is your project for the next year. The DecNET folks are
> getting great results ;)

Hmm! I need to get hold of the VMS reference (VMS 5.2/5.3 or thereabouts)
manuals (the orange ones or the grey ones will do fine - and importantly
should include the DCL manuals) - anyone willing to dump old reference
manuals on me for free? I'm based in the Washington DC area. Can travel,
can pick up within PA/NJ/DE/MD/WV/VA/NC states. Anywhere else would be too
far to drive in a day.

I'm about to move to a dual Pentium Pro system in October and that's what
I'll be using to develop. My i486 is too slow for software development
purposes. :o(

for all intents and purpose.. I think making the LinuxVMS source
compatible would be a good starting point (i.e linking to C libraries that
defines the system routines such as LNM$TRANSLATELOGICAL, SYS$GETPID et.
al.) Ahh, this brings back good memories of many hours spent hacking away
on a cute VAX 9000 machine with a lowly VT220 terminal at university.
Remember the horrible descriptors one had to define in order to make VMS
system service calls? :o)

Oh, and does anyone knows how much would a secondhand DEC VT220 terminal
be worth?

Cheers, Alex.

---
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!