Re: TCP Stalls.

Wed, 2 Sep 1998 09:14:50 -0400 (EDT)

On 2 Sep 1998, Mark Gray wrote:
> "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
> >

> Try using a smaller window for ppp (works for me.)
>
> My ppp startup script executes the following after bringing up ppp:
>
> /sbin/route del default dev ppp0
> /sbin/route add default window 16384 dev ppp0
>
> Without it, certain files are impossible to download from some ISP's;
> with it, I have no problems whatsoever. (This is with only 2.0.* --
> there is too much I need to use that is still broken on 2.1.* so I
> have not tried it yet (although I did notice that there was talk of a
> major change in the Window code.))

Yes. Thanks. I was not looking for a work-around. I would like to
see some effort made to find this long-standing problem. When I
connect with my Sun it is slow. However nothing stalls even when
using a Linux machine at home. If I connect linux-to-linux I have
a problem -- always. If I connect with an ISP, I get what I deserve ;)

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.118 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).