Re: Freeze Upon /dev/fd0 Use

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@phys.uu.nl)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 1 Sep 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Anyway it's an Intel Triton motherboard, with an Intel P90. I don't
> > have the exact number of the chipset with me, but I could look it up.
>
> Thats very interesting indeed. Do you know what patchlevel (about) this
> problem started ?

Alan, don't bother. I have one of these no-name Triton boards
and the problem is reproducible under DOS too. I have no doubt
that OS/2 or Rhapsody will show the same behaviour...

Time for a CONFIG_STUPID_MAINBOARD that only allow usage of
one (!) DMA channel at a time. Sure, this will cause skips
in the sound playback and bad floppy performance, but hey,
you can't have everything, especially not with a dirt-cheap
mainboard.

Besides, apart from this issue, the mainboard is a pretty
decent performer without many other stability issues (well,
the SIMMS have to be all the same speed and you must be
careful not to set the PCI and mem speed _too_ fast with
recent XFree86).

Rik.