Re: ext2fs: inode with zero dtime

Steven S. Dick (ssd@nevets.oau.org)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 08:13:59 -0400 (EDT)

Stephen C. Tweedie <sct@redhat.com> wrote:
>That's the problem: it should be illegal to remount a fs readonly while
>there are still orphaned deleted inodes present.

Nooooo! That defeats the major purpose of remounting read only...

Remounting read only should not fail under this condition.

Remounting read only is done when?
1) when the filesystem detects something critical wrong
2) when the system is about to shut down
3) when done by hand

For case 1, it MUST succeed, or risk panicing the system totally.
Most likely, we want to remount read only, but leave it marked dirty.

For case 2, would it be reasonable to close the open files before
the remount, and allow them to be actually deleted before the remount
completes? Perhaps they could be deleted on disk, but left undeleted
as far as the in memory copy is concerned--we're about to reboot anyway, right?
It'd probably be bad to allow the apps with the old copy of libc to just
segfault 'cuz their image went away.

For case 3, we can't guess what the user wants. If files are deleted,
as in case 2, then the filesystem should not be allowed to be remounted RW.

Steve
ssd@nevets.oau.org