Re: Next round of console patches

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 21:07:25 +1000

Alan Cox writes:
> > So the PCI bus addresses that the FB code finds may well contain MMIO
> > registers?
>
> Unlikely but possible. Fortunately its not very hard to build a PCI
> "ok card" list and it will take almost no space (0 in fact if its
> __init).

Yes, __init is great. The main problem is finding a bunny to do the
work ;-) Any volunteers out there?

Aside: wouldn't the list have to have a very large number of entries,
though? There must be hundreds (thousands) of different cards out
there. Seems a bit tedious.

> vesafb is a console, so it "has to work".

Agreed. I hope we can get a whitelist in there, though, as it seems to
speed up the console (around 2x according to Tom Eastep).

> > What's the story with cards that would be safe to make the FB
> > write-combining? Do they only have their registers in a separate
> > region? I would have thought that this is generally how it's done with
> > PCI cards?
>
> Normally yes.

Groan. I guess this is thanks to shitty PC card vendors.

Regards,

Richard....