Re: ftp.kernel.org overloaded :-(

Matthew Hawkins (matt@mail.goldweb.com.au)
Tue, 1 Sep 1998 14:18:25 +1000

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> Can this be fixed somehow? Maybe limit access to ftp.kernel.org for
> "normal" users and have extra ftp class for mirrors?

Hmm, it makes sense but I'm not sure I like the issues
involved. I keep my ftp site updated regularly with
the latest kernels (I generally get each tenth tarball,
and all the patches, to cut down on bandwidth).

What's to prevent me from being a mirror site? Technically
I'm one already, therefore I should be able to access the
new mirror class to get priority access to ftp.kernel.org.

Now, if every other person doing the same as me also
demands this, then there's going to be 8 million people
with priority access. Whoopdeedoo. That's not going to
solve the problem at all. Certainly somebody could be
chosen to distinguish between 'worthy' and 'unworthy'
sites to get access, but I think Orwell wrote a good book
about that sort of thing once... I wouldn't wish that
job on *anybody* here either.

As a suggestion to others, lately I've been using wget to
obtain the patches via http. As patches generally fall
under proxy cache size limits, they cache ;) Boom, instant
mirror sites without any hassles, all updated transparently!
I distinctly remember one patch coming down so fast, there
was no way it came across the pacific from Transmeta. Also
I have only once been rejected by the web server @kernel.org
due to overloading - and that was when looking for the next
version of mon, not when updating the kernel patches! :)
Of course, the complete tarballs are another matter entirely,
I think I'll stick to FTP for them. But again I only
download the tarballs with a trailing 0 in the subminor
version number.

--
Matt