Re: telnetd, rxvt/xterm problems with 2.1.11[78]

Thu, 27 Aug 1998 15:32:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 wrw3@cornell.edu wrote:
[SNIPPED]

> merentha:~$ telnet localhost
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> telnetd: All network ports in use.
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> merentha:~$ rxvt -display :0.0
>
> rxvt: can't open pseudo-tty
> rxvt: aborting
> merentha:~$ xterm -display :0.0
> xterm: no available ptys

As a start, get the latest version of MAKEDEV.gz and do
`MAKEDEV generic` in the /dev directory. This will create
a bunch of new virtual terminal devices like the new
kernels require.

Then, if it still doesn't work, you have the same problem
that I have been reporting. A temporary 'fix' is to modify
the network startup files to start the inetd daemon last.
That seems to allow things to work although I don't know
how well.

If you new MAKEDEV.gz, I can mail it to you. It's only about
4346 bytes.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).