Re: Who (and when) is calling the scheduler ?

Anton Ghiugan (ghiugan@lucent.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:53:26 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:

> > "The interrupt routine proper simply updates the variables `jiffies' and marks
> > the bottom half routine (see Section 7.2.4) of the timer interrupt as active.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > This is called by the system at a later point ..."
>
> The bit I underlined is the important bit. The irq return path will run the bh
> (or if bh's are running the bh returns will run the next bh). The bh runs
> include scheduling and the bh -> user space return will return to the new task
> on a switch

It follows, from this discussion, that timer bottom half routines, can
interrupt the
normal flow of the others bottom half routines at any time. As a particular
case, kernel
timers can occur at any time (the preseted time actually), even in the middle of
processing
of some other bottom half, line NET_BH, am I right ?!? Can somebody clarify me
this aspect ?

Best regards,

Anton Ghiugan