Re: Virtual Machines, JVM in kernel, hot-swapped kernel

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@guardian.no)
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 15:29:13 +0200

On Fri, Aug 21, 1998 at 02:19:48AM +0200, Tomasz Rola wrote:

> Also, I'm interested in JVM (Java Virtual Machine) built into the kernel.
> Has somebody started this already on Linux? Yes, I know about Java
> support in current kernels but it's in user space. I'm interested in
> kernel-space one. How about other languages - Lisp, perhaps ?...

You don't want a VM in the kernel, but you might want a system level
VM - a single VM used by all java-programs what will do caching and
optimalization etc. Other than that, it is interesting to see if
there are any new services needed by a VM that the kernel should
provide. I know of one such service: user-level exceptions. Being
able to handle a memory protection exception without the
user->kernel->user context switches makes certain GC/VM-tricks much
less expensive.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Guardian Networks AS, Trondheim, Norway
 http://www.guardian.no/