Re: [Suggestion] Memory check

Anthony Barbachan (barbacha@trill.cis.fordham.edu)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 03:55:12 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: Roeland Th. Jansen <roel@grobbebol.xs4all.nl>
To: Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
Cc: wolff@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl <wolff@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl>;
su0289@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de <su0289@sx2.hrz.uni-dortmund.de>;
linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu <linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tuesday, August 18, 1998 2:04 AM
Subject: Re: [Suggestion] Memory check

>> Frank Gockel (gockel@sent13.uni-duisburg.de) mailed a memtest patch to
>> linux-kernel in July 1998 to test memory at boot up. One big advantage
>> of doing the test in kernel is that he marks faulty pages as reserved
>> to stop the kernel using them. Waiting until init is running can be
>> too late, the page might already be in use.
>
>marking pages fault so that it's not used IMHO is a bad idea. if memory is
>at fault, report it and stop.

Is this really a good idea? Some part of memory goes bad and we just stop
the server?!?! Obviously if the memory starts to go bad it should be
replaced, but in the meantime the system should make every attempt to
continue running normally; albeit with lots and lots of verbose error
warning messages.