Re: kill -9 <pid of X>

Jes Sorensen (Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch)
17 Aug 1998 11:05:38 +0200

Jon> On 16 Aug 1998, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> You have been told a million times here that acceleration belongs
>> in user space and still you insist on putting it in the kernel
>> where it does not belong.

Jon> You'll pardon us if we choose to keep our own counsel about
Jon> that.

You do what you like - remind me about another topic which is being
discussed a lot at the moment.

>> But again, you just told us that you want to use kgicon to bloat
>> the kernel with a ridiculous acceleration API which ought to never
>> be included in the kernel.

Jon> That "bloat" is usually about 5K.

For one driver - not everybody wants to rebuild their own kernel (most
people in fact).

>> Personally I am really sad about this, I thought things were moving
>> in the right direction with fbdev on the PC now as well, seems not.

Jon> Hey, you guys can do whatever you want with fbcon/fbdev.

Obviously, its just sad to see someone trying to abuse it.

>> According to what you are telling us, you just want to disguise KGI
>> under abscon and then later use that as an argument to try and push
>> the `real' KGI into the kernel using the argument that its already
>> there.

Jon> We have never made a secret of our feelings that KGI is
Jon> clearly superior to fbdev and that wie still hope to get it into
Jon> the kernel someday. If you wish to regard kgicon as propaganda
Jon> toward that end, fine. Its primary purpose is to give people
Jon> some x86 fbcon drivers and to let GGI developers use and develop
Jon> the KGI drivers while KGI is "in the shop", but if people see how
Jon> much better KGI drivers are than fbcon drivers and get some
Jon> enthusiasm for KGI/GGI as a whole, we certainly won't complain.

Will you please stop calling them fbcon drivers then - they clearly
are not. Guess I shouild try to find some time and do a real fbcon
driver for the card I have in the toy.

Jes